Last updated February, 25 2021
1. Collection and Use of Personal Information:
Generally speaking, personal information means any information about an identifiable individual. It includes your name, address, telephone number and email address, payment information and purchasing history. Personal information does not include aggregated information, such as data about a group or category of products, services or customers, from which individual customer identities have been removed or anonymized.
We collect personal information that is necessary to provide our home improvement products and services to you, including all quotes for such products and services. Specifically, we collect personal information when you:
- submit to us content such as your name, address, telephone number and email address to obtain a quote or otherwise access our products and services;
- contact our customer service department with an inquiry or suggestion;
- purchase, return or exchange products offered through our website or call center;
- subscribe to one of our services, online newsletters, or register to participate in an online forum or community;
- respond to one of our polls or surveys; and/or,
- enter into a contest or promotion.
HI3C will retain the collected personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected. Personal information that is no longer required for statutory or regulatory requirements or to fulfill the purposes we identified when we collected the information may be destroyed, erased or rendered anonymous to prevent unauthorized parties from gaining access to the information. Upon request, we can provide you with a copy of all the personal information we have collected about you.
2. Use of Information
We use the information we collect about you for the following purposes:
- Products and Services. To provide our products and services, including delivering, installing, securing, troubleshooting, improving, and personalizing those products and services to process, fulfill, ship, and deliver your orders.
- Product Improvement, Development, and Research. To improve our products, develop new products or features, conduct research, and to monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our products and services, and for any other business purpose permitted by law.
- Customer Support. To provide customer support and respond to your questions and process refunds.
- Marketing and Communications. To communicate with you about new Local Home Pro products and services, offers and promotions.
- Legal and Security. To protect yours and our rights, which may include detecting, investigating, or preventing fraud and other illegal activities, and addressing legal and regulatory compliance obligations.
3. Disclosure of Personal Information
We transfer your personal information to our network of local professional contractors, our family of companies and/or other third parties for the purposes of processing your request for a quote or fulfilling your product order which may include completing an installation of that product at your home. We may also transfer (or otherwise make available) your personal information to third parties who administer our contests and prize redemptions, rebates or promotional offers, or who provide other services on our behalf.
All of our service providers are required to maintain the confidentiality and security of your personal information and to use it only in compliance with applicable data privacy laws, and are prohibited from using or disclosing your personal information for any purpose other than providing the products and/or services on our behalf or as otherwise required by applicable law.
4. Other Instances Where We May Collect and/or Use Personal Information
- Customer Service: When you call one of our customer service representatives, or e-mail us with an enquiry or question, you may be asked for information that identifies you, such as your name, address and telephone number, to help us promptly deal with your inquiry and confirm your identity. We may opt to retain this information to assist you in the future. We may also use your feedback to monitor and/or improve our products, services, publications, and our websites.
- Promotions or Surveys: When you enter any contest or sweepstakes ("promotion") or participate in a survey or poll ("survey") that we may make available, we may ask you to provide your name, address, phone number and e-mail address. We use the information we collect on promotion entry forms to administer your participation in the promotions, so that we can contact you if you are a prize winner, and for other purposes stated on the entry form. Our surveys may ask for opinions on various issues and may be sponsored by our advertisers and partners. Most information obtained through surveys is aggregated and used internally. We may share survey information with advertisers and marketing partners in an aggregated, non-personally identifiable form. In the event personal information is requested as part of a survey, such personal information is never provided to unaffiliated third parties without your consent. Contests may be co-sponsored by other companies with their own privacy policies. You should always read the entry form and contest rules before entering.
- Website Information: Generally, you can visit our website without telling us who you are or providing us with any personal information. We collect the IP (Internet protocol) addresses of all visitors to our web sites and clickstream and other related information such as page requests, browser type, operating system and average time spent on our websites. We use this information to monitor and improve our web sites.
- Optional Information: Occasionally, we may request demographic information (like your age or gender) or information about your interests and purchasing preferences. You do not have to provide us with this information to receive the publication, product or service you have requested. We use this optional demographic and preference information to tailor or improve our publications, product and service offerings, as well as for internal marketing research purposes.
5. Cookies and Other Technologies
To enhance your experience on our web site, many of our web pages use "cookies". Cookies are small text files that we place in your computer’s browser to store your preferences. Cookies, by themselves, do not tell us your e-mail address or other personal information unless you choose to provide this information to us by, for example, registering at one of our sites. Once you choose to provide a web page with personal information, this information may be linked to the data stored in the cookie. A cookie is like an identification card. It is unique to your computer and can only be read by the server that gave it to you.
Cookies and web server logs are used to collect information in aggregate so that it is not identifiable to any specific user. This information is used to improve your experience as a user on our sites, to improve the content of our web pages, to monitor the activity of our advertisements, to monitor traffic to and from our web sites, to customize the content and/or layout of our pages for each individual visitor and for purposes of internal review. The information gathered through cookies and web server logs may include the date and time of visits, the pages viewed, time spent at our web site, the web sites visited just before and just after our web site, browser information and your computer’s IP address. (IP stands for Internet Protocol. This address is a unique string of numbers that identifies a computer on the Internet. All resources on the Internet must have an IP address.) This information is collected on an aggregate basis, meaning that none of this information is associated with you as an individual. It may be shared with other organizations but only in aggregate and/or statistical form. It is very important to note that companies placing advertising on our sites have the ability to assign cookies to you in a process that HI3C does not control.
Most browsers automatically accept cookies. You can set your browser option so that you will not receive cookies and you can also delete existing cookies from your browser. You may find that some parts of the site will not function properly if you have refused cookies.
- Web Beacons
We reserve the right to transfer any personal information we have about you in the event of a merger with a third party or upon a sale or transfer of all or a portion of our business or assets to a third party acquirer, or an affiliated company. We may also provide your personal information in response to a search warrant or other legally valid enquiry or order, or to an investigative body in the case of a breach of an agreement or contravention of law, or as otherwise required by law. We may also disclose personal information to assist us in collecting any debt owed by you, or otherwise where necessary for the establishment, exercise or in defense of legal claims.
- Secondary Marketing
From time to time we may obtain your permission to send you marketing information about our products and service offerings or those of our marketing partners. We may combine personal information we received from you with publicly available outside records to enhance our ability to market products and services that may be of interest to you.
- Third party Websites and Advertisers
Our websites may provide links to third party websites. The inclusion of any link does not imply our endorsement of any other company, its websites, or its products and/or services. These linked websites have separate and independent privacy policies, which we recommend that you read carefully. We have no control over such websites and therefore have no responsibility or liability for the manner in which the organizations that operate such linked websites may collect, use, disclose or otherwise treat your personal information.
- Accessing and Correcting your Personal Information: If you wish to access the personal information we have about you, or to correct factual errors in our records, please contact us as set out in the "How to Contact Us" section below. In order to further protect your privacy, we will take reasonable steps to help verify your identity before granting access or making any corrections.
7. California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, you have the right to make the following requests with respect to your personal information under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”):
- Access: You have the right to request that we disclose to you the personal information we have collected, used, disclosed or sold about you in the previous year.
- Deletion: You have the right to request that we delete your personal information, subject to certain exceptions. If you purchased a product or service from us, we must retain personal information to continue to service your purchase, to comply with applicable laws and regulations and other permissible purposes. That means we may not be able to delete your personal information.
- Right of Opt-Out: You have the right to request to opt-out from future “sales” of your personal information. We let advertising and analytics companies collect IP addresses, and cookie IDs through our sites and apps when you use our products or services. We also disclose personal information to the third-party dealers that provide the home improvement products and services that we sell to our customers. You can request that we do not “sell” your personal information to other companies as defined under the CCPA. Note that we may continue to share some personal information with our dealers and retail partners that do not constitute “sales” to help us ensure services are working correctly, providing aggregate statistics and analytics, improving when and where you may see ads, and/or reducing ad fraud. Any opt out choices you make will only apply to the specific email address that you provide when making the request.
We may deny certain requests, or fulfill a request only in part, based on our legal rights and obligations. For example, we may retain personal information as permitted by law, such as for tax or other record keeping purposes, to maintain an active account, and to process transactions and facilitate customer requests. Finally, you have a right to not be discriminated against for exercising rights set out in the CCPA.
To submit a request respecting your personal information under the CCPA, please contact us.
8. How to Contact Us:
Feel free to contact our Customer Service department at any time if:
- you wish to withdraw your name from an e-mail or other marketing list;
- you wish to access and/or correct your personal information; and/or,
- you have a complaint about the manner in which we treat your personal information.
Please contact us or send us correspondence at the following address.
Attention: Chief Privacy Officer
Home Improvement Call Center Corp. c/o Centah Inc.
Suite 500, 296 Richmond Street West
Toronto, Ontario, M5V 1X2
Tel: 1 888 536 3025